Thursday, July 30, 2009

breaking news today!

Not really. In case you haven't heard, it's hot in Tucson.
When the sun gets up at four thirty or five (?), and it's ninety degrees at least by six in the morning, there's no escaping. I work almost everyday in a nice air-conditioned little store so I don't notice it so much, but it's like a greeting in Tucson, when you say hi how are you, the other person says, "Hot." And it's annoying. I like the summer. All my favorite fruit is in season, my birthday's in there somewhere, and the monsoons come. For anyone who hasn't been in Tucson for the monsoon season, I think its worth it, but some people might argue with me because of the heat.
A couple years ago we had a really great monsoon season. I was on fourth avenue at an awesome thrift store called Value Village when the storm came in. I love how even the people who have lived here for years still go to the window or doorway to watch when a particularly good storm hits.
So I was standing in the doorway with everyone, watching, and every time there was a loud crack of thunder, a group of boys probs my age would jump. I asked and they said they were from Chicago and had never seen anything like this. I told them nothing to worry about, this happens every summer. But it kept pouring, and the water kept creeping up the sidewalk until it started flooding the store.
The rain stopped a little bit later and we walked out to fourth ave (which is lined with shops and restaurants and a couple bars) to find it completely flooded. I took off my moccasins, and the water came up to my shorts in a few places. We saw people opening their car doors and water rushing out.
Most stores had shut their doors in an attempt to keep the water out, but a couple places, one pub in particular, had their doors wide open and the people at the bar, sitting and drinking their beers with water up to their shins on the bar stools.

Nothing nearly this exciting has happened this monsoon season.

No comments:

Post a Comment